Great Movies about Hating Your Job

In honor of Labor Day weekend, I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to a truly forgotten group of people. These poor souls brave the fierce elements each day just to make a living. This post is dedicated to this group– all those out there that hate their jobs. Please enjoy my list of the best movies that depict hating your job.

milton from office space

1. Office Space–Now this should be no surprise that I chose Office Space for position #1. Office Space is the ultimate move for people who hate their jobs. I think no matter what type of job you have, you can relate to this movie in some way. Don’t forget the cover sheet on those TPS reports otherwise you will be forced to wear at least 15 pieces of flare.

2. Clerks–Poor Dante and Randall have to put up with annoying customers all day, but at least they get free Gatorades. “I’m not even supposed to be here today!!” and “This job would be great if it weren’t for the trucking customers.” are two quotes from this move that will live on forever. Happily, at the end of Clerks 2 we learn that the duo return to the convenience/video store as owners.
3. Reality Bites–Lelaina (played by Winona Ryder) is stuck as an assistant for a lame local morning show with a boss from hell. She gets her revenge by making him look like an ass by changing his cue cards. And who can forget Troy being fired from a newsstand for stealing a snickers bar.

Reality Bites

4. Fight Club–Who could blame Edward Norton’s character for going a little Skitzo with his crappy and rather unethical job. His boss at the Compliance and Liability department at Federated Motor Corporation certainly had his hands full. I don’t blame him for paying him off to leave after the “fight” in his office. Tyler Durden (and other members of Fight Club) also rebel against the jobs they hate by adding some extra “flavoring” to food.

5. American Beauty–Lester Burnham has decide that he will no longer bite his tongue about his sad job and life. This is how he described his job: “”My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men’s room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn’t so closely resemble Hell.” Like in Fight Club, Lester was able to creatively negotiate a nice severance package.

the devil wears prada

6. The Devil Wears Prada–Can you imagine if Miranda Priestly was your boss? Andy Sachs is subjected to non stop attitude and insults , endless Starbucks and scarf runs, and unbelievably long hours. “That’s all”

Have any other movies that need to be on this list? Just let me know.

This entry was posted in Just for Fun, Movies and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Great Movies about Hating Your Job

1. Blu says:

The list you’ve posted is great, but it is missing 9 to 5, starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and Dolly Parton with Dabney Colman as the boss from hell. You could also make an argument for including Working Girl and The Secret of my Success.

2. rutgerskevin says:

@blu–Those are 3 great ones–Thanks!!

3. UptakeInOH says:

All great flicks, including 9 to 5 and Working Girl. I haven’t seen Secret of My Success, though. I did re-watch Office Space lately and sadly, found that it didn’t hold up over time. I think that because it became SO ingrained in our society that now it seems stale.

4. You missed the best one… Falling Down starring Kirk Douglas.

Classic I hate work, society, myself and everything else film really.

Good list.

5. rutgerskevin says:

@science Falling Down is a good one!! The scenes at the fast food joint and the golf course are great!!

6. Great list! I have seen about half of those movies and agree with your assessment. I also agree with a previous commentor that 9 to 5 would be a great addition to your list. That is a hilarious movie.

The Blonde Diariess last blog post..Who is the best School Mascot?? Mike the Tiger Is!!!

7. Electroluminescent says:

I think one of my favourite moments was Dante and Randall’s “storm trooper wedding ” in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back!

8. Some of i seen but now i think rest of the funny hating movie hahah :) i have to watch early as soon, you putted here enjoyable listing.

9. Star wars movie says:

Good list. I have also seen some.

10. Free TV says:

Great memories guys

I must admit id love to leave my job in style like these dudes

11. Dalton Attorney says:

Clerks is the best ever…although I didn’t like Clerks 2 nearly as much. My second favorite from the list would have to be Reality Bites.

12. Andy says:

Office Space is on of my favorites! It’s amazing how this guy on photo became rich!

13. Pingback: Man Up! Everyone Hates Their Job | Crispy Paper